The Cyprus Refugee Council is interested to hire a motivated individual to carry out the tasks of the Social Advisor focusing mainly on the Pournara First Reception Center in Kokkinotrimithia for the project Strengthening Asylum in Cyprus funded by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Country Office in Cyprus.
The Cyprus Refugee Council is a non-governmental, non-profit organization with a focus on refugees, asylum seekers, trafficking victims and survivors of torture. CyRC strives to safeguard, support and advocate for the rights of vulnerable groups in Cyprus as well as promote their effective integration into local society.
Vacancy – Social Advisor (full-time) The Social Advisor will carry out duties at thePournaraFirst Reception Center in Kokkinotrimithia (primarily) and CyRC offices.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out vulnerability and needs assessments in the PournaraFirst Reception Center in Kokkinotrimithia, as part of the Vulnerability Assessment team comprising staff of UNHCR, Asylum Service and European Asylum Support Office (EASO).
- Identify individuals with specific needs, including elderly persons, persons with disabilities, unaccompanied and separated children, single parents, survivors of torture, trafficking and sexual and gender-based violence, and provide assistance to them.
- Provide counseling and assistance to asylum seekers and persons under international protection in order to ensure that they have access to their rights as these are envisaged in national, European and international law, including access to employment, welfare support, healthcare services, training opportunities, and language classes.
- Support and provide assistance to the Management and Operation teams of the Center for the development and improvement of the services provided in the Center.
- Assist in organizing and providing capacity building activities to the personnel of the Center.
- Mobilize and organize persons of concern so they may take on an active role and implement activities that enhances their communal capacities and resilience.
- Assist and facilitate the transition of residents out of the Center by providing information, advice, and guidance to persons of concern both in one-on-one meetings and in group sessions.
- Liaise with the authorities, EU agencies, and NGO partners for the better coordination of service-provision to residents of the Center.
- Ensure that men, women, girls, boys of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds and abilities participate in the assessment, planning and implementation of all protection, social and educational activities.
- Undertake other duties as required.
Academic Qualifications Required
- University degree in Social Sciences, Social Work, Counseling or other related field.
- Additional training in counseling, crisis intervention, conflict management or related fields will be considered an asset.
Relevant Experience Required
- 3 years of experience in social support, case management and counseling.
- Experience in community mobilization and capacity-building activities.
- Experience working with vulnerable groups, particularly women, children and adolescents.
- Experience in liaising with multiple actors (governmental services, EU/ International agencies, NGO partners)
- Experience working in a multi-cultural and multi-national context.
- Excellent command of Greek and/or English and/or French language; knowledge of an additional language, such as Arabic, would be considered an asset.
- Excellent writing and drafting skills.
- Analytical skills: ability to conduct situation analysis, social analysis of risk factors, as well as analysis of the political and economic context.
- Ability to mobilize resources including within communities of persons of concern.
- Ability to coordinate various activities and partners, including persons of concern, for an optimal use of resources.
- Ability to assess training needs, design training modules and deliver training sessions.
- Negotiating skills.
- Counselling and mentoring skills, both individually and in groups.
- Communication, interpersonal skills and teamwork
- Good computer skills, including excellent use of word processing and spreadsheet software.
Applications MUST include a CV and a cover letter. Please confirm in your application, that you have never been subject to sanctions (disciplinary, administrative or criminal) arising from an investigation in relation to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA), or left employment pending investigation and refused to cooperate in such an investigation.
Closing date: 24 November 2021. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Send your completed application to email@example.com