The Cyprus Refugee Council is interested to hire a motivated individual for the post of Legal Advisor for the project Strengthening Asylum in Cyprus funded by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Country Office in Cyprus.
The Cyprus Refugee Council (CyRC) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization with a focus on refugees, asylum seekers, trafficking victims and survivors of torture. CyRC strives to safeguard, support and advocate for the rights of vulnerable groups in Cyprus as well as promote their effective integration into local society.
Vacancy – Legal Advisor (full-time)
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide information, counseling and assistance to international protection beneficiaries and asylum seekers on asylum procedures in Cyprus and ensure access to all stages of the procedures.
- Assist both asylum seekers and persons with international protection, in accessing rights conducive to their well-being and integration, including access to medical services, vocational training, language classes, employment and welfare support.
- Monitor access to the aforementioned rights and prepare detailed reports for evidence-based advocacy interventions with the authorities,
- Carry out out-reach activities through-out the island to provide up to date legal information to individuals, groups, NGOS and other related entities
- Carry out country of information research and assist in drafting written submissions for the International Protection Administrative Court.
- Provide legal information to individuals with specific needs, including older persons, persons with disabilities, unaccompanied and separated children, single parents, survivors of torture, trafficking and sexual and gender-based violence, and assist them, including through advocacy with the authorities for their prompt identification and access to procedural guarantees.
- Liaise with the authorities and NGO partners for the better coordination of service-provision to persons of concern.
- Undertake other duties as required.
Academic Qualifications Required
- University degree in Law
- Post-graduate degree in Human Rights Law, Refugee Law, Administrative Law
- Additional training in human rights, international protection, counseling, crisis intervention, conflict management or related fields will be considered an asset.
Relevant Experience Required
- Experience on Human Rights, Refugee Law, and Administrative Law including related EU and national Law for at least 3 years.
- Experience in counseling and case management.
- Experience working with vulnerable groups.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural and multi-national context.
- Excellent command of Greek and English language; knowledge of an additional language, such as Arabic or French, would be considered an asset.
- Excellent writing and drafting skills.
- Analytical skills: ability to conduct legal analysis, as well as analysis of the political and economic context.
- Ability to coordinate various activities and partners, including persons of concern.
- Negotiating skills.
- Counseling and mentoring skills, both individually and in groups.
- Communication, inter-personal skills and team work
- Good computer skills, including excellent use of word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Car and driving license is required.