27 November 2023
The Cyprus Refugee Council is interested to hire a motivated individual for the post of Cultural Mediator/Interpreter (French) for the Strengthening Asylum in Cyprus project funded by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Country Office in Cyprus.
The Cultural Mediator/Interpreter (French) will carry out duties at the CyRC office in Nicosia and other locations as needed including reception and detention centres.
The Cyprus Refugee Council (CyRC) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization with a focus on refugees, asylum seekers, and survivors of torture and trafficking. CyRC strives to safeguard, support and advocate for the rights of vulnerable groups in Cyprus as well as promote their effective integration into local society.
Vacancy – Cultural Mediator/Interpreter (French/full-time)
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish informal dialogue and communication channels with international protection beneficiaries and asylum-seekers in order to gain a better understanding of the population, their concerns and priorities;
- Provide interpretation services to facilitate communication with persons of concern, in diverse settings;
- Assist in identifying persons with specific needs among the international protection beneficiaries and asylum-seeking population;
- When requested, accompany vulnerable individuals to various governmental services;
- Contribute to follow-up on individual cases under the guidance of supervisor;
- Assist in disseminating information on available services and their providers, on the rights and duties of international protection beneficiaries and asylum-seekers;
- Provide assistance to international protection beneficiaries and asylum seekers in order to facilitate their access to their rights as these are envisaged in national, European and international law;
- Assist in organizing group discussions and awareness-raising sessions with persons of different age groups, genders and backgrounds;
- Regularly update and share information related to areas of work, utilizing agreed data collection methods to identify gaps, assess trends and developments;
- Promote and support community mobilization for organizing social, cultural and recreational events among refugee and host communities;
- Remain open to undertake other duties as required.
Qualifications and experience required
- Higher education degree
- Two years prior experience in working with refugees, asylum seekers or migrant populations
- Strong knowledge and experience on the local context
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, written and oral;
- Excellent knowledge of French, as well as very good knowledge of at least one of the official languages of the organisation (English or Greek)
- Planning and organizing skills: ability to establish priorities and to plan work assignments, respond to competing demands and work under pressure of frequent, multiple and tight deadlines
- Ability to conduct situation analysis and needs assessment;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, independently and as part of a team;
- Computer literacy: good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools, e-mail and Internet applications.
- Car and driving license are required.
Preference will be given to persons who hold or have held international protection status.
Applications MUST include a CV and a cover letter.
Please confirm in your application, that you have never been subject to sanctions (disciplinary, administrative or criminal) arising from an investigation in relation to SEA, or left employment pending investigation and refused to cooperate in such an investigation.
Closing date: 10 December 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Send your completed application to email@example.com